ZedScan™ delivers significant increase in HG CIN detection rates across all high risk HPV positive women

  • April 12, 2016

A review into the management of more than 800 women referred to an NHS colposcopy clinic who were positive for high risk HPV (hrHPV) has revealed a substantial increase in detection of high grade cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (HG CIN) following the adoption of ZedScan into routine use.

As one of the sentinel sites for primary HPV screening, clinicians at Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust’s (STH) used ZedScan alongside colposcopy over a period of two years and assessed the impact on clinical performance relative to HPV genotype.zedscan

Inclusion of ZedScan delivered higher rates of disease detection in all hrHPV positive women and non-HPV 16 cases in particular, compared with colposcopy alone.

The clinicians consequently concluded that the ability of ZedScan to detect HG CIN is not influenced by the HPV genotype.

Professor Tidy, clinical founder of Zilico Ltd and consultant gynaecological oncologist at STH, said: “ZedScan compensates for the reliance on acetowhite change to identify disease and this will be increasingly critical as the prevalence of HPV16 and 18 falls in the vaccinated population.”

The full case study can be downloaded by clicking here.



For more information about Zilico please contact:
Zilico, tel: +44 161 826 7840; email info@zilico.co.uk or visit www.zilico.co.uk

For Press enquiries please contact:
Martin Webb, tel: +44 7766410194; email: martin.webb@propellerpr.org.


Notes for editors:

Human papilloma viruses known as HPV are a group of viruses that affect the skin and moist membranes lining the body. There are more than 100 different types (or strains) of human papilloma virus (HPV). Some types of HPV can increase the risk of developing cervical cancer, particularly types 16, 18, 31, 33 and 45. They are called high risk types. Almost all women with cervical cancer have at least one of these types of HPV in the cells of their cervix. Of the different types of HPV, types 16 and 18 cause about 7 out of 10 (70%) cancers of the cervix. The other types cause most of the remaining 30% of cervical cancers.

Colposcopy is a more detailed look at the cervix under magnification. Instead of looking at the cervix with the naked eye, the person performing the colposcopy will use a special microscope (called a colposcope) to see the changes at high magnification with good lighting.